{A New Year}

I don't put much faith in fate.  I don't believe in meant to be's or master plans.  However, I was clearly destined to be a teacher. 

I get the same kind of rush each August that most people only experience January first.  There is just something so refreshing and innocent about the start of Fall and the back to school banter that fills the air.  I love redecorating my classroom.  I fill my head with goals and high ideals I know I'll probably never achieve.  I am introduced to a hundred and twenty new faces that will fill my days.  Likely, those faces with be accompanied by quite a few new challenges too.  It's my New Year because its a time for renewal and fresh starts.  Also, by the time January rolls around, I'm half way to a 3 month vacation.  Furthermore, I find Fall heavenly. 

This year, however, it is going to be bittersweet.

Rowan will be starting daycare soon.  We avoided it last year but this year there was no choice.  I know daycare is wonderful.  Honestly, I worked in one for years and know all of the benefits.  Furthermore, my child needs boundaries and routine like the desert needs the rain.  Neither of which I am great at providing.  Also, I am not cut out to be a stay at home momma.  I admire those of you who do, but I couldn't.  I love my son too much to make him spend his days stuck with a mother who is secretly longing to be elsewhere.  I love my son, but right now, I want to experience other things in addition to that love.  I need to feel fulfilled outside my home, in my career, in myself.  I am a better mother for some time away.  He is a better child for the chance to be exposed to other fantastic people and playmates.

Still though, it makes me a wee bit sad. 

So, we are spending the next two weeks the only way I know how, doing the only thing I've ever done -- preparing to go back to school.  We are cherishing our last full days together.  I'm getting my school supplies and classroom ready.  Rowan is getting a new lovey and crayons.  We are getting new school clothes and shoes.  And, I am reminding myself that Rowan is getting to share in one of my favorite past times.

2 comments:

Blogs August 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

Letting your child go into someone else's care is a big step....I didn't do it until my eldest was 11. I know...I finally let go....:) I have my fears of daycare so I never put them in one...I'm over protective...

Back to school is fun! Enjoy and happy new year:)

Carol August 3, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

I share a similar feelings, I've tried the stay at home mom thing, and working is easier for me. I'm more comfortable earning my own income, and contributing financially. Daycares do have thier upside. Children are engaged and learning all day long. They aren't propped up in front of the TV so that momma can get the laundry folded, or get lunch on the table. The downside...they get sick, a lot. I'm sure you'll find that he loves the stimulation.

I miss fall...

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP