{I've Never Been Good @ Taking Sides}

So, I have no idea how I will pick between the needs of my (future) children.  Last week, the husband and I went to a concert as part of our late anniversary celebration.  It was tame, country, Rascal Flatts and Kellie Pickler. So there were families swarming around us.  

Sidenote: Yes, I like country music amongst lots of other very different things.  Emery's music taste is greatly different but it was the only concert at the state fair the night we would be there.  So back to story.

Two rows in front of us there was an adorable family of four.  Their daughter was maybe 7 and their son approximately 4.  Although, I'm really bad at guessing ages so they could have been fourteen.  I'm fairly confident they were under ten though and about two years apart.  Long story longer, at first, the boy was really rocking out and having a blast.  After the warm up act though, he and his dad kept disappearing.  Once the main act took the stage the mom and sweet little girl jumped to their feet.  They were singing at the top of their lungs and dancing.  I seriously almost cried.  It was just so amazingly endearing to me to see this mother bonding with her child in that way.  The father and son returned and the little boy was clearly ready to leave.  The mother was ripped from her fun and forced to drop her daughters hand to attempt to calm the boy down.  He wasn't having it. 

So, here's my dilemma, the purpose for the post.  How do you choose?  Do you take away one child's enjoyment of an event that they have certainly been looking forward to.  Or, do you leave one child crying from exhaustion and frustration over all the noise.  No matter what choice you make, what do you do to ensure the "losing" child doesn't resent the "winner"?

2 comments:

kris August 30, 2010 at 7:54 PM  

This happens all the time at our house, and I do not have good answers. My two daughters are opposites in many ways, and what one enjoys? The other has no patience for.

They are older now, and it easier to separate them and allow them to pursue their individual interests.

But it was difficult, when they were younger, to sacrifice one child's enjoyment for the comfort of the other child.

Sigh.

Alexandra August 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM  

Hi, came over from TamingInsanity, who has excellent taste. She says you're a need to know, and that's all I need to hear.

Am following you know, pleasure to know you. Will be reading your older posts now, and catching up.

Talk to you soon....

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP