{Sweet Success}

Success. I have been stressing a lot lately about how to measure a successful day. Is it when all of my papers are graded, lesson plans written, baby fed, husband loved, dishes done, laundry folded, dog walked, all of these things, five of these things. When is it enough to feel victorious? And then, I realized the key.

Carelessness.

As in, I don't care.

I don't care what anyone thinks I should be able to accomplish in my day. I am a full time teacher (Read: I mother 120 children. I am a secretary. I am a nurse. I am a counselor. I am a friend. I am a role model. I am a mediator. I am a business woman. I am a badass.) I am a full time mother and wife. In my down time, when it exists, I spend time on myself. Yes, my dishes are still in the sink. The bathroom needs mopped, badly. And, I may wear a pair of dirty jeans tomorrow. However, I played with my boy until he laughed and his nose turned red. I held him while he dreamed. I kissed him and he hugged me. I shared a drink with my husband and listened to the events of his day. I talked to family on the phone.

I have decided that a successful day is going to bed with a smile on my face. I have found this so much easier to do now that I've stopped worrying about what I am supposed to do and started doing what comes naturally.

6 comments:

Carol May 12, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

Amen and Abso-freakin'-lutely! It's all about prioritizing the priorities and lovin' on my kids comes way before cleaning (and cooking) in my house. You are bad ass! Love it!

KLZ May 12, 2010 at 10:10 PM  

Oh, I suck. I can't find your email address. Anyway, I'm so excited. I think Gilmore Girls is the most quotable show. I frequently think "monkey, monkey, hockey stick" when I'm losing my train of thought which just about no one gets but me.

So, yeah, I'm super stoked for you.

Which Rory boyfriend do you like best?


PS I'm taminginsanity at ymail.com

KLZ May 12, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

Yes, and I agree with you. Carelessness needs to be redefined. I have dishes in my sink most days but it means I get to snuggle my husband and my son. And I'm ok with that.

Cindy @ This Adventure, Our Life May 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

This is soo true!! Success to me is a happy baby each and every day!! Thanks for stopping by, I am following you :)

Blogs May 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

The joys of motherhood.....wearing the same jeans day after day....not giving a crap what got spilled on them and leaving dishes til you feel like doing them:) At the end of the day we are whooped, deprived and restless but we read, sing, and give our babies unconditional love because that's what we do....and that is beyond successful:)xoxox

James, Caitlin and Ella June 9, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

Jamie, I love this. You stole the words straight from my head. It is so true how being a mother now shows you how much your mother loves you and there is no way you can explain it until you have it. Being a teacher to 30 first graders I share all your pain and joy. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Beautiful. Tell Emery I said hello.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP